The University Grants Commission (UGC) has initiated a fee refund policy for the academic year 2023-24 after receiving several complaints from students and parents regarding the no-refund policy of Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) on withdrawal/ cancellation of applications.
This concern was discussed by the UGC during the 570th meeting which was held on 27 June 2023. They provided certain criteria for this newly formed policy as given below:
Despite of anything mentioned in the prospectus/guidelines/ notification/ schedule, HEIs are instructed to provide a full refund of the admission fee on cancellation/ withdrawal up to 30 September 2023 and with a deduction of a processing fee not more than INR 1000 up to 31 October 2023.
The admission process that may go beyond 31 October 2023 has to follow the UGC notification issued on October 2018, which provides detail about the refund of fees based on when the notice for withdrawal of admission application is received by HEIs. Details about the notification are mentioned below:
- Students who withdraw/cancel their application for admission 15 days or more before the last date of admission will be refunded 100% of the fees.
- Students who withdraw/cancel their application for admission less than 15 days before the last date of admission will be refunded 90% of the fees.
- Applicants who withdraw/cancel their admission in 15 days or less after the last date of admission will be refunded 80% of the fees.
- Applicants who withdraw/cancel their admission in 30 days or less after the last date for admission will be refunded 50% of the fees.
- Students who withdraw/cancel their admission after 30 days of the last date for admission will be refunded 0% of the fees.
UGC has further stated that “ delay in, or denial of, the refund of fees due to a student who withdraws admission within the time mentioned in the prospectus, subject to guidelines, if any, issued by Commission, from time to time”. This describes one of the grievances of Students Regulation.
The HEIs are further requested to follow the guidelines provided by fee refund policy 2023; in case of violation of these rules and regulations by any HEIS, the institution will be liable for punishment under Clause 5 of UGC’s Notification on Refund of fees and Non- retention of Original Certificates issued on October 2018.