UGC draft guidelines: M Jagadesh Kumar, chairman of the UGC, says the recommendations align with the National Education Policy 2020, which encourages top online and remote learning institutions to develop high-quality online courses.
As stipulated in the University Grants Commission’s proposed rules, colleges and universities offering online degrees may obtain up to 40% of their course content from outside, and generate the remaining 60% in-house with help from ed-tech businesses.
Edutech companies, however, do not have the right to claim ownership of the materials they create, as outlined in the newly proposed UGC (Open and Distance Learning Programmes and Online Programmes) Regulations 2020.
UGC draft guidelines According to the draft regulation, the higher education institutions concerned have full ownership of all Intellectual Property Rights relating to the content they generate in-house.
In his remarks, Mr. Jagadesh Kumar, chairman of UGC, said that the recommendations aligned with the National Education Policy 2020, which encourages top online and remote learning institutions to develop high-quality online courses.
Universities may either purchase content from external sources or produce it entirely on their own.
It will save students from having to find appropriate online programmes to pursue by allowing them to use external content to build their credit banks. Deputy UGC officials said the institutes would do the research and advise students.
Universities and colleges can currently offer online degrees only if they meet these criteria.